Forum Name: Cancer of Unknown Primary

Question: Sunken cheeks?

RandomRoads - Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 pm

Maybe I'm in the wrong area of this forum, but...

I have developed sunken cheeks - just within the past week or so. I would have noticed had it happened earlier. I've read that sunken cheeks are one of the symptoms of cancer, but I always thought that was for advanced stages.

I am tired all the time, but I've been tired for years. Aside from blood clots/pulmonary embolism a few years ago, I really haven't been sick in several years.
This past fall I developed an infection from a hangnail, and instead of disappearing right away like it normally does, it got really bad, and it took a good 2-3 weeks to get rid of. I thought that was odd.

I've had a dull pain in my lower left side that has come & gone for about 8 years now. The dr's couldnt find anything. And I figured that after 8 years, if it's still around, it can't be too serious.

A month ago I was very sick for about a week... the flu - first time in 5 years. But I keep getting more tired, the infection lasted longer than usual, and now my cheeks are noticeably sunken. What would make that happen so quickly? Is it something to worry about?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Sunken cheeks are not considered a specific symptom/sign of cancer. It can happen with cancer as a manifestation of cachexia. However, what I think would be a more objective way to analyze your situation is to look for any significant weight loss. Rapid, unintended and significant weight loss defined as >10% of body weight in less than 6 months is something that requires immediate medical attention.

It would be difficult for me to help you further without an examination. Assuming your concerns are legitimate I would urge you to seek an appointment with your doctor.

|