Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: right superclavicular lymph node inflamed

Vonwebster - Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 am

Hi I have a slightly complicated story,

I am a 27 year old caucasian male with no family history of cancer.

I underwent a PET/CT scan at the beginning of December for some inflamed lymph nodes in my occipital region and to investigate the possibility of Squamous Cell Carcinoma (long story involving a lot of people giving me a lot of different interpretations on a diagnosis) and it came back clear. FNA of the offending nodes also came back clear. MY full body PET scan highlighted nothing suspicious anywhere at all.

Recently I noticed my right supraclavicular lymph node was inflamed. I'm unsure when this happened, I just happened to be fumbling around the area and touched on it, it seems to be roughly a centimeter in diameter and firm yet highly mobile. I did a little reading around and found some scary statistics about that particular node, notably that in people over 40, this turns outs to be malignant 90% of the time and in people younger than 40 about 25%. Although I'm in the lower risk category 25% still scares me.

I went to see the doctor today and he gave me some anti-biotics and anti-histamine tabs to take for a week and then told me to come back in a week.

My query is this: As my PET/CT scan was clean with no suspicious areas a month and a half ago, does that rule out cancer for this (at least for lung cancer, to which I believe this node is mostly related)? I asked about the possibility of Lymphoma to my doctor and he grunted a laugh and said "No .... well at least the possibility is very very small. Either way take the meds and come back again later".

Other things that may be pertinent: I have a rash, but this is not unusual as I am a life long eczema sufferer (the eczema on my scalp was blamed for the occipital lymph nodes being flared). I also have viral conjunctivitis and the lymph node in front of my right ear is swollen as a result). In terms of possible virus contact, my wife recently had influenza but I didn't seem to contract it from her.

If anyone has any insight into what this could be I would be most grateful, ofc I will continue going to my practitioner, it seems there are very few alternatives on the web to "cancer" for inflammation of that particular node group, so I am a little worried.

Many thanks

G
 Vonwebster - Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:41 am

Another query.

I returned to my Doc after taking the meds and nothing changing. He poked around awhile and looked at my PET scans taken at the start of Dec. He said that he doubted it was lymphoma as I'd see significant increase in the size of the nodes over a few weeks if it were and there hadn't been any.

So I asked him why he thought they were inflamed, he then told me that it was possible that the lymphatic fluid was draining down from the scalp and passing onto the Supraclavicular region. Can this actually happen? Frankly I hadn't heard of this phenomenon before and this particular doc seems like he wants rid of me everytime I go there. If this is a genuine possibility I'll let it rest but if this is nonsense then I will try and get a second opinion. Can anyone tell me if his prognosis is feasible or not?

|