News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump on right side of neck - over collar bone

Rose111 - Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:29 pm

About 12 days ago I found a lump on my neck - very tender to touch that was about the size of an olive. Within two days it grew almost to that of a small tennis ball. My GP did a cat scan which indicated nothing else other than the area in question - indicating it may be an infection. I was put in hospital and for five days ran a major course of IV antibiotics. The lump came down more than 50% and I was released to return home. However it still causes quite an ache in my neck and is tender to touch but no where near the original pain. I am now taking ciproflaxacin and cefadroxil (antibiotics) and having a terrible reaction - rash / itch / nausea...The lump has not changed at all since I got home and I'm concerned. If this truly is an infection about how long should it take for it to go away??? THe lump is now down to it's original size (olive) and feels hard and rubbery. I recently gave birth and many believe this could be related to breastfeeding but dr's disagree as I have no other symptoms or signs of infection. Any ideas? Please help as I'm freaking myself out.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:28 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Based on the response of the lump to antibiotic therapy I'd have to conclude this is an infected cyst, probably involving a lymph gland. I'm sorry the antiobiotic is causing so much discomfort, and hopefully that's all done by now. This thing got pretty large, and sometimes these can be very stubborn and occasionally require a minor surgical procedure to drain or remove the node in order to resolve any lingering, walled-off infection. I don't think its relationship to breast feeding is important, if one exists. These things can occur anyway. You're getting the right treatment based on the results, but if the thing remains painful, tender, or grossly palpable it may require an invasive draining. This can be done with little to no residual marking, and hopefully won't be necessary. These things can be quite stubborn, so I'd give it plenty of time to go away, so long as it continues to improve or stay stable at least. If it starts to swell again, please inform your doctor and consider surgical drainage or removal.

Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here