Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Pain on lower left side of stomach, ovarian cancer?

valchrisjust - Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Im 24 yr old female, Ive had a pain on my lower left side among other symtoms for about 2 years. For the first 6 months I had the pain about 2-3 times a month so I didnt think much of it. After the 6 months the pain started to come more frequently about 2-3 timea a week I also noticed a bulge on my groin area and on my left rib cage right where my spleen is at there is no pain just a little uncomfortable when I sleep on my stomach. Then my menstrual cycles became irregular. Now for the past year Ive had bowel problems, urinary frequency and bloating.I will either have diarhea or constipation. I don't have much of an appetite cause I tend to feel full to quickly. For the past 4 months ive had pain during and after intercourse along with the feeling of pressure. Now the pain is everyday and unbearable, gets worst with stress, prolonged sitting or after full day activities.I am very concerned and all my net surfing and family advice points to ovarian cancer. I have no family history of cancer of any sort. I know ovarian cancer is very hard to diagnos but I was just curious on what other possibilities it might be. Also the probability of me having ovarian cancer due to my history, symtoms, and age.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:43 pm

I sincerely hope that by now you've brought all this to the attention of a doctor and been evaluated and maybe have had your mind eased about all this. I'm going to answer, though, as if you've not yet done that. This has been going on a while, and while cancer is a possibility whenever we have things going on we can't explain, it would seem rather far down the list, given no clinical findings but only signs and symptoms as relayed here. You see, if this were cancer you would very likely, by now, have experienced profound sickness and wasting. This sounds more like it may be any one of a number of things, possibly more than one: And that's the catch here, that there's no rule saying you can't have more than one thing going on at the same time. The trouble is, we have no clinical findings to match with these signs and symptoms. I suspect, among other things, endometriosis. This could explain many of your symptoms. By the same token, for any number of reasons, your spleen could be enlarged. This is, in general, a problem, not necessarily because of the underlying cause but because of the increased fragility of the spleen. You could have an ovarian cyst. These are not difficult to visualize once they've developed for a while, and this may be the most likley culprit if there is only one. You may also have some inflammatory lower gastrointestinal problem. There could be a number of things going on, and it sounds as though there are at least two, most likely. The only way to know, to create and execute a treatment plan, and resolve or manage whatever's going on, is to see a doctor. Most people who post here with multiple problems like yours complain they've been to a number of doctors and haven't been able to find out what's wrong or want more information than the doctors have provided. You don't mention having had any medical workups for this. You're suffering, and very likely needlessly. My first and strongest suggestion is to have yourself worked up for all the potential causes of this. An abdominal ultrasound, comprehensive blood work, and a gynacological exam, together, may well expose the primary problem quickly. It's had time to develop, so is probably not hard to visualise at this point. That being said, I have to repeat that cancer of any serious type (I know -- isn't all cancer "serious"?) would have caused far worse problems by now, most likely.

I hope this is helpful, and that you'll take these thoughts and have this checked soon if you haven't already. Even the worst case, which would be some sort of slow-growing cancer, would be less "serious" than what you probably have imagined for yourself. Things tend to not get better on their own, and when they don't, we need to have them medically handled. I hope you'll do this Asap, and please follow up with us here. Good luck to you.
 valchrisjust - Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:49 am

Thank you for your reply. Since I have posted, I did go to the hospital for pain in my lower left back twice back in mar.09. They did a wet prep. which came out normal, Urinalysis had 1 flag which detected many squamos epi cells.Ct scan which came out normal.Blood tests came back normal. Vaginal ultrasound came out normal but they did find small amount of fluid in my endometrial cavity. don't remember if I had mentioned back in 03 after the birth of my second child I had a abnormal pap. had a colposcopy done and found cervicitis. I did get that treated.Did a follow up and everything was normal.Now for the past 3 weeks Ive had very watery discharge. Most of the time it is white other times it has streaks of blood in it. I do have a little bit of bleeding after intercourse now. I do plan to get insurance really soon. I have done a little bit of research on endometriosis not to much though.(from what ive heard is never pay to much to what the internet shows you when it comes to your medical issues cause it will just worry you to bits.) Just want to know before heading to the doctor is there any difference in symptoms between endometriosis and edometriol cancer? Or do my symptoms now seem to be pointing somewhere else?

|