News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 15 yr old with multiple swollen glands neck, groin, armpits

beebopalooza - Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

i noticed a few weeks ago my 15 yr old son had swollen glands behind his ear ( mastoid region) so i took him to the dr. come to find out his glands are swollen through out his body his neck his armpits his groin...He has no other symptoms

Dr ordered a CBC and a CMP and referred my son to a hematologist I am anxiously awaiting the results of his blood work but am so fearful he has cancer

i know you cant dx but do you agree with our family MD as far as the initial testing and what is the likely hood that he may just have mono? what other conditions could cause his lymph nodes to swell??
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:52 pm

User avatar Hello --

While the most serious things should always be ruled out first when there is even a remote possibility of a problem being serious (there being no clear cut cause at the outset), mono still does seem to be the most likely cause of this, for a lot of reasons. One, lymphoma usually spreads slowly and doesn't usually show up all over the place at once. Second, your son's age argues statistically for mono over other causes, all things being equal.

A monospot test should have been drawn at the outset, which might have avoided the anxiety and avoided the consult with a hemotologist. However, your doctor was able to see the whole patient in person, and it's better to be thorough rather than too casual. Mono does have its own potentially serious problems, but if it's diagnosed properly these can be avoided.

With no other symptoms present, whatever this is should be easier to manage. I wish I could give you a more concrete answer, but until the proper blood tests have been done you can't really know with certainty what is going on. If it is mono, just please make certain your son avoids all contact sports until the glads have returned to normal.

Best of luck to you both. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here