News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Pain when I have a bowel movement

Anonymous - Thu May 15, 2003 3:24 pm

I have pain when I have a bowel movement, my rectum has intense pain, and at times blood. this has been going on for 3 months, and the only way i can have a bowel movement, is if i push exteremly hard. i would really apprciate any advice or reasons for what is happening to me.
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sat May 17, 2003 7:53 pm

The symptoms that you describe (rectal pain when having a bowel movement, blood when having a bowel movement, and difficulties having a bowel movement) should be checked out by a doctor. A rectal examination should be performed and a colonoscopy should be done as well. A panel of blood tests can be performed, including checking the level of iron in your blood (if there has been any blood loss in your bowels, then you may have low iron levels since iron is a major component of blood. Based upon the results, I would consider obtaining CAT scan pictures of the abdomen and pelvis. Although I understand your concern about a cancer causing your problems, there are other things that can do this, such as hemorrhoidal problems or certain bowel dysfunction problems. I do hope that all checks out well for you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here