News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Multiple Myeloma

Question: Myeloma in the brain......

payton49 - Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:07 am

My freind has just been told that the Myeloma has gone to her brain. The doctor is going to give her chemo via a lumber puncture. Can anyone give me any information on Myeloma in the brain and what we can expect. Thank you
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope your friend is doing well. Central Nervous System (CNS) involvement with multiple myeloma is extremely rare. It is diagnosed by finding malignant plasma cells in the spinal fluid by lumbar puncture. This is usually ordered after a patient with myeloma presents with CNS symptoms that are suspicious.

Usually these patients have advanced disease and various chromosomal abnormalities such as del 13q and p53 mutations. These abnormalities confer poor prognosis.

Unfortunately, there are two few cases to draw general conclusions about what may happen to your friend but most of these cases have been treated with CNS directed therapy (eg, intrathecal chemotherapy) as well as bone marrow transplants.

Sadly, most of the cases reported in the literature do not do well altogether. However, like I said there are too few of those and any generalization would be stated with caution.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here