Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Freckles on palm of hand

starless - Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Today I noticed three black spots that form a straight line on the palm of my hand that were definitely not there yesterday. They are about the size of a head of a pin and are (roughly) about a centimeter apart from each other. They are located on the heel of my left palm (and off to the right a bit). I never had any freckles on my palms before so it's a bit unsettling to see three pop up at once. Is this something I should worry about or is it normal?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:07 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Palmar freckles are very unusual, so this does raise an eyebrow at least. The fact they showed up rather spontaneously suggests they are innocent and probably due to some trauma to the heel of your hand, as this does sometimes result in the sort of lesions you describe.

However...if these do not disappear in fairly short order (in a week or so), you probably would be wise to have a dermatologist look at them, since once in a very great while something problematic is found this way serendipitously.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and please follow up with us here as needed.

|