News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Inflammatory breast cancer -IBC

stacy28 - Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:13 am

Hello. i know not to many girls know about this ..i recenently just found out it about my self and im stressing about it.. they only symptom i seem to have is discoloring of my breasts. (both) and pain , but i had a breast exam, a few months ago and it was fine..she checked undermy arm pits..again that was fine too.. but from what understand these it only takes weeks and months to develop...oh im 28. so i don't know if this is just maybe all stress... or hormones? also i have to mention that the dr said i had muscleskeletal damage in that area,. my best friend is suffering ffrom breast cancer...she just had a double masectomy (spelling) jan 27th... and now has to go through chemo..luckily its only stage 1. anyways..i just wanna know what my chances are of having IBC..and i wanna know 1 more thing...how come not many ppl are hearing off IBC?

thanx sooo much
stacy A
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are feeling better already. Inflammatory breast cancer is a rather rare but important entity. It accounts for less than 5% of all breast cancers. It's main importance is that it is a rather aggressive disease and it can easily be confused with breast infection.

The median age at diagnosis is approximately 60 years and it tends to be more common in African Americans.

Generally speaking you should seek medical attention as soon as you develop breast inflammation. Your doctor will prescribe the appropriate antibiotics/antiinflammatory drugs. If the condition does not improve by the first week / does not resolve completely by the 2nd week then your doctor may order a skin biopsy.

Another problem with this potentially lethal form of breast cancer is that it can present without a dominant mass (lump) in the breast.

Best regards,
 stacy28 - Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Hello... well like i said i had an exxam back in nomvember...and everything looked ggood...she new i wa ss having the pain,,and said it was muscular...theye don't hurt everyday..i have large breasts as well...36dd... and they don't itch or anything.
 stacy28 - Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:59 pm

Hello..i just wanted to give u an update...well i had a mamo a few weeks ago...and it was normal..all though i still have pain im happy to no its not cancer! thanx for advice!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here