Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Inflammatory breast cancer -IBC

stacy28 - Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:13 am

Hello. i know not to many girls know about this ..i recenently just found out it about my self and im stressing about it.. they only symptom i seem to have is discoloring of my breasts. (both) and pain , but i had a breast exam, a few months ago and it was fine..she checked undermy arm pits..again that was fine too.. but from what understand these it only takes weeks and months to develop...oh im 28. so i don't know if this is just maybe all stress... or hormones? also i have to mention that the dr said i had muscleskeletal damage in that area,. my best friend is suffering ffrom breast cancer...she just had a double masectomy (spelling) jan 27th... and now has to go through chemo..luckily its only stage 1. anyways..i just wanna know what my chances are of having IBC..and i wanna know 1 more thing...how come not many ppl are hearing off IBC?

thanx sooo much
stacy A
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

I hope you are feeling better already. Inflammatory breast cancer is a rather rare but important entity. It accounts for less than 5% of all breast cancers. It's main importance is that it is a rather aggressive disease and it can easily be confused with breast infection.

The median age at diagnosis is approximately 60 years and it tends to be more common in African Americans.

Generally speaking you should seek medical attention as soon as you develop breast inflammation. Your doctor will prescribe the appropriate antibiotics/antiinflammatory drugs. If the condition does not improve by the first week / does not resolve completely by the 2nd week then your doctor may order a skin biopsy.

Another problem with this potentially lethal form of breast cancer is that it can present without a dominant mass (lump) in the breast.

stacy28 - Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Hello... well like i said i had an exxam back in nomvember...and everything looked ggood...she new i wa ss having the pain,,and said it was muscular...theye don't hurt everyday..i have large breasts as well...36dd... and they don't itch or anything.
 stacy28 - Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:59 pm

Hello..i just wanted to give u an update...well i had a mamo a few weeks ago...and it was normal..all though i still have pain im happy to no its not cancer! thanx for advice!

|