Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Vertigo and other symptoms... misleading....

missyloulu13 - Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:01 am

I have been suffering from vertigo for 3.5 weeks. We tried stugeron and vertin to get over it, but it didn't help. For 3 weeks I've been unable to keep anything but 6 meals down. I got so dizzy on Monday night that I fell over and hit my head. I've had a headache that won't go away for 3 weeks as well.

I've been seeing two doctors. One MD and one homeopathic and part of the problem is that I live in a very isolated place in an undeveloped country. The MD is now suggesting I go to a local city hospital and have some tests done. The other doctor did some blood work and my white blood cell count is a little high, and my cholesterol is high.

The homeopathic doc is suggesting not to go to the ENT b/c they just would give me more meds that haven't worked. And I'm getting confused. I don't like doing research, but it's got me concerned about brain tumors after a friend mentioned something. I don't know what to do.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Normally benign positional vertigo (BPV) will respond well to Vertin (meclazine). If it hasn't (the Stugeron I don't trust), you really need medical attention. While I doubt this is due to a brain tumor (and it is odd how with any neurological/head-related symptoms this is the first thing people consider), something is going on and this apparently isn't just BPV, but something more troublesome, perhaps a bad case of labyrinthitis (inflammation of the labyrinth of the inner ear -- vestibular disease -- the most likely explanation for your problem) or perhaps a sinus issue. The ENT will at least be able to rule these in or out, and there are other, more potent medications that might work for you if this is the case. If the ENT cannot find the underlying cause then you definitely will need to be seen at a medical center, even if it means making an inconvenient trip). Hopefully the ENT can find the root of the problem and at the very least set your mind at ease, and perhaps prescribe something more effective for the dizziness, and perhaps, if vestibular disease, actual exercises to help correct the problem.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed. Good luck to you!
 missyloulu13 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:52 pm

I went to the ENT and had a CT scan, blood work, and an audiology exam done, and all were normal (thankfully). When I saw the neurologist, he said that I was just having severe migraines, and prescribed me medications. I've been taking them for 4 days now as he directed, but the headaches aren't going away, and I'm still dizzy at times. While I'm grateful this is not something more serious, I'm still very confused as to what is at the root of this and how to fix it. Is there anything I can do to make it stop or at least lessen it?
 missyloulu13 - Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:41 am

I was also wondering if there was a way I could find out what a normal CT is supposed to look like. Since coming back I've noticed areas that cause me concern. I would feel more at ease if someone could just explain to me what's going on. And as the headaches have still continued (now 9 days out), with no relief from medication, I'm just frustrated.

There are 2 spots in particular that I'm curious about:
First, on my 12th and 13th slices that is a gray dot behind where the sinuses are in previous slices. In the contrast slices, it lights up. It's almost a perfect circle, so I'd just like to believe it's nothing. It's truly nothing, right?

Second, on my 15th and 16th slices, there is a dark spot at the back center, that extends about 1 to 1.5 cm into my brain and is about 1cm wide. In the contrast slide, about 2 cms wide lights up, about .5cm into my brain, and the dark spot is a little more visible. And in slide 16, it's about a 1.5 by 1.5 block of white with a little bit of white in various areas around it.

I just need some explanation, and right now, heading back to the city is not an option for at least another month.

Thank you for helping.

|