Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: ARMPIT, BICEP AND SHOULDER PAIN

worried1982 - Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:56 pm

I am a 27 year old female who is average weight and generally healthy. For the past 4 months I have been experiencing pain in my armpit, down the side of my chest, in my shoulder, in my shoulder blade and in my bicep. It occurs only on the right side (and I am right handed) and has been pretty steady. I have seen 3 doctors about this. The first one did a breast exam to feel for lumps and checked my armpits to feel for lumps. She said there was nothing. I still can't feel any lumps. The first doctor said that it was probably from muscle strain (I was a waitress at the time). I saw another doctor about a month later and she said the same thing (however, I had quit my job 2 weeks prior to seeing the doctor), she also said that it could be some kind of trauma done to my arm because of the repitative motion and that it can radiate pain into the armpit. I saw another doctor a week later who basically said the same thing. It has been over a month since I quit my waitressing job, wouldn't the pain have gone away by now if it was caused by that? None of the doctors ever did an ultrasound, an MRI, CT or CAT scan to check my lymph nodes. I know that sometimes they can be swollen, but you can't feel them. I am always paranoid about cancer, any kind, breast or lymphoma. I can't help but be worried since they have not done any kind of test to look inside my body, just felt around outside. Should I not be too concerned since I have seen 3 doctors of which none of them seemed to concern about this, or should I press for some kind of test that will look at my lymph nodes? Is it a necessary test? Any information that you can provide would be helpful, because I am constantly stressing about this and the pain gets worse when I am stressed out. Thanks.
 stacy28 - Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:04 pm

hi.. i have some of those symptoms to..my pain has been there for almost 5 months..i also was in a quad accidnent. and the dr said i musckelskeletal damage.. sorry if i spelled that wrong..my breast even hurt both sides...as i to went to the dr several times felt for lumps and nothing! it feels like a muscle by my armpit it run straight done the side of my chest..and believe me it hurts.. i figure out why this pain is lasting so long...maybe because i lift my 2 yr old son up everyday...hes like a tank! u are not alone in ur pain..try not to get to upset..three drs seen ya..try taking some ibprophen ..good luck! and remember don't stress it brings on other things ..i stresed and it made it worse!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:54 am

The distribution of the pain that you have described is very interesting.Neurologically,the pain is in the C5,T1-perhaps T5 distribution.Difficult to localize the lesion.It is possible that there was an inflammatory lesion in the axilla(inflammed axillary lymph nodes-acute axillary lymphadenitis is one possibility). The second possibility to explain all this is a muscular pain-due to strain in the shoulder girdle.How are you now? Hopefully you are better.

|