News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Dermatopathic Lymphadenopathy

TLK459 - Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:30 am

Hello,

I am a 37 year old female. I have had an enlarged lymph node on the left side of my neck in the back right at the hairline. The Surgical Pathology Report read:

The lymph node sinuses are moderately expanded by a population of histiocytes containing abundant melanin pigment. There is no evidnece of lymphoma or other neoplastic process. Dermatopathic lymphadenopathy is often associated with nearby chronic skin conditions such as dermatitis and psoriasis. Clinical correlation may be helpful.

Gross Description:

Sumbitted is an oval shaped portion of golden yellow fibrofatty tissue which measures 1.8 x 1.6 x 0.8 cm. Sectioning reveals a 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.4 cm apparent pink-tan lymph node surrounded in part by lobules of golden yellow adipose tissue. Additional discrete lesions or areas of nodularity are not identified. Rep. sections including the entire lymph node are submitted.

There is an enlarged supraclavicular lymph node but the surgeon did not remove that one, he said we would wait to see what the one on my neck showed. I have not had any skin conditions that were suggested above so I wondered what all this means and if I will now have to have the other lymph node removed.

Thank you,

TLK459
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:19 pm

User avatar Hello,The node that was biopsied could be a resultant of a lingering pediculosis capitis ie headlice.Many a times the lice induce a reactive lymphadenopathy.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here