Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Thyroid cancer/kidney cancer relation?

amela321 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:56 pm

I was intially diagnosed with metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma in 1985. I was treated and considered free of disease until 2008 where more disease was discovered in and removed from my neck. Unfortunately, though I have also had a third dose of radioactive iodine, my thyroglobulin levels are still elevated.

I have recently had a CT scan where a small mass showed up on my right kidney. Two radiologists have read the CT scan. One called it an "indeterminate mass" and the other said it was angiomyolipoma. I know that angiomyolipoma is a benign tumor, but with my history, I don't know if I'll be completely convinced that this is what it actually is until a biopsy is done. My questions are as follows:

1. Is there any correlation between thyroid cancer and kidney cancer? I've found some sources on the internet that say that there is, but I don't know how reliable these are.

2. Is it possible that RCC can be mistaken for an angiomyolipoma on a CT scan?

3. I know that thyroid cancer metastasizing to the kidney is extremely rare, but is it also possible that a thyroid cancer met could be mistaken for an angiomyolipoma?

Thank you so much for your time. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I will try to answer your queries one by one...
1) There are reports of a possible association of clear cell renal cancer and
familial papillary thyroid cancer.
2) Angiomyolipomas are fairly easily diagnosed on a CT scan - as they seem to have typical features due to the presence of fat in them.
3) Again, because of the typical CT features of angiomyolipomas, it is unlikely that they will be mistaken for mets from thyroid cancers.
Thank you for posing some interesting questions.

|