News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Chest Discomfort when Swallowing.

cperezx16 - Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi
I am 21 yrs old and a couple days ago I developed a strange pain in my chest right under my left clavicle, when I swallow, especially when eating food or drink. I thought it may be heart burn because I occasionally get heartburn but the usual Rolaids I take didn't help much! I also thought I had something to do with the workout exercise I was doing because I noticed the discomfort shortly after working out. I have no throat pain or itchiness so I am afraid it might be something serious. I was reading about esophageal cancer and the symptoms are Pain in your throat, in your midchest or between your shoulder blades. Although not common, you sometimes might have pain when you swallow or discomfort or burning behind your breastbone. So therefore I am a little worried!! Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!!!!!!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:21 pm

User avatar Hi,
Cancers of the esophagus frequently present with a sensation of food getting held up in the neck or midline chest and curiously the patient may pinpoint the site of holdup which corresponds to the site of narrowing of the esophagus!
But the pain that you are experiencing is below the left clavicle.Again, you don't seem to have any dysphagia(swallowing difficulty).Therefore your symptom does not have the typical charecteristics of pain due to esophageal cancer.
In all likelihood, this pain is a muscular pain, mostly exertional.Hopefully this should go away, but in case it should persist,please consult a surgeon.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here