Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Low wbc/low TSH/hi UIBC,low HGB,nl rdw

RosalieB - Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 pm

Had a series of blood tests done in May, 2004. My Ferritin level was 35/wbc 3.2,rbc 2.98,MCV 96.6,Platelet count 146/hgb 10.0,hct 28.8....Had retest on 1/11/05 New results:
Ferritin62/wbc 3.0/rbc 3.20/platelets 159/mcv 104/hgb 10.6/hct 33.2/TSH 0.194. I am currently taking Synthroid for hypothyroidism (for last 7-8 years) and Nexium for GERD. by the way, UIBC was 328. Iron 94, TIBC 422/Saturation 22%.
My neutrophils are 51, lymphocytes, 38, monocytes 8, eosinophils 2, basophils 0....Any idea what might be going on??? There is a history of chronic anemias in my family....I am of Italian descent....all my aunts (maternal) have folic acid deficiencies, some kind of anemia, etc etc...Thank you for your insights. I am female, 52 years old, not overweight. I have had a colonoscopy (nl), endoscopy (GERD), liver sonogram (nl). hope that helps.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:30 am

User avatar Hi RosalieB,
Have you been taking any folic acid and iron supplementation? Have you ever been referred to a hematologist? The blood counts are abnormal and they would not in my opinion be related to the hypothyroidism or GERD. Have you had any symptoms of fatigue, weight loss, excessive bruising, fever etc.? Was there a particular reason that you were given for the liver sonogram and what were the results? If you have not been referred to a hematologist to rule out any anomolies besides anemia related to deficiencies of folic acid or iron I would suggest one being done. My apologies for all of the questions but in order to have a clearer picture of what's going on I needed to ask....
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:00 am

User avatar I agreee with Rntdj. You need a hematologists opinion especially with the leukopenia and abnormal differential counts. Its clear that you have a mild macrocytic anemia. It should be noted that hypothyroidism can be associated with macrocytic anemia. This can be due to the association with pernicious anemia or due to folic acid deficiency (decreased absorption). Folate deficiency, when severe can lead to leukopenia and low platelet counts.
When was the last time you had your thyroid functions done and what were the results?
 RosalieB - Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:04 am

My family doctor wanted to be very thorough, and so did a liver sonogram (results: normal). I saw a hematologist/oncologist just before moving from NY to FL in 7/04. He did some tests, and told me that he did not see anything that would indicate leukemia. He kept referring to my family history of pernicious anemia, "italian" anemia and folic acid defiencies (my mom and ALL my aunts suffer from all of these). I am just concerned. We do not have medical insurance right now,and I truly cannot afford to begin a costly "search" for what this might be. I did have a physical recently, as I believe I said, which showed low wbc/rbc/hgb but normal platelets/rdw/diff/monos/eos/lymphs/ etc etc. She suggested I take iron tablets, and possibly folic acid and potassium??? and mentioned Vit B12 shots. I do have hypothryoidism, my last thyroid test showed that my meds were too high (?) and my dose of synthroid was adjusted from .088 to .075mcg.

|