News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Breast lump found to be enlarged lymph node

missy_79 - Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 pm

I am a 30 y.o. female with no family history of breast cancer. I found a lump in my right breast a short while ago. Over the next few weeks I had 2 sets of mammograms and an ultrasound done. I called my gyn daily to get the results of the tests, and when they finally came in the FNP returned my call. She stated that it was benign, and when I questioned her further she said it was an enlarged lymph node. Not being a pushy person, and I didn't really have any questions prepared for this scenario I let it go and hung up. Now I can't find any info online for why I would have an enlarged lymph node in my breast. From what I'm finding it must not be a common place, because I have yet to find anything.

So, my question is...Is this something that should be further tested? It is still the same size as when I found it about a month and a half ago. The only other symptom I am having is that occasionally my breast will ache slightly. It's usually only for a few seconds and it quits. It occurs maybe 1-2 times a day.

Thank you!
 Jan PA-C MPH - Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Dear missy_79;

Sorry for the delay in posting a response to your query. I hope you have followed with your physician to discuss the continued enlargement of the lymph node.

Lymph nodes are the 'clearinghouses' for our body, transporting excess fluid or WBCs that may be battling some infection or irritation. thus it's normal for lymph nodes to be enlarged, as they do their work. Importantly though, it's not always normal for a lymph node to be enlarged over a protracted period of time. This should be monitored and re-examined at intervals by your care provider so that they can make a better decision whether this needs to be monitored for resolution or whether further testing should be considered.

Please let us know if any other questions have surfaced?
Kind regards,
Jan
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:46 am

User avatar Hi missy_79,
Intramammary lymph nodes are a fairly recent phenomenon.Most standard anatomy text books make no mention of them.
Recent studies have shown that they do exist but their prealence is not known.
Whether they have any prognostic significance in beast cancer is also unknown.
(Ref: J Clin Pathol. 1992 November; 45(11): 1023–1026.)
Hope this info may be useful to you.
Thank you for your post.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here