News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Neoplastic Astrocytoma Grade 2

SSGMom - Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:12 pm

My adult son was just diagnosed with Neoplastic Astrocytoma Grade 2, a malignant tumor on his brain stem. We are now waiting on more tests to see if he has tumors in any other location. His symptoms are blurred/double vision, extreme migraine type headaches and he's very unbalanced in his walking. Because of the location of the tumor he is not a candidate for any biopsy or any type of surgery. I've also been told they will not be doing any radiation, which leaves only chemotherapy. The drug I've been told they plan to use is Temador. I'm scared out of my mind for him, and I have no idea what the future holds for him. Is there anything at all you can tell me about his situation? What success rate there may be in such cases? Any type of prognosis? I'm desperate for any information.

Thank you in advance for anything you can tell me.
One very scared Mom!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 am

User avatar Hi,
I empathize with you on your predicament.
I see that you have left out some important information (the exact site of the tumor) that would have helped us to offer a better opinion.
From the symptomatology,i assume that it is probably sub-tentorial.
There is no universally recognised choice of therapy for patients with astrocytoma grade II.The clinical course is generally said to be unpredictable.
Proliferation and genetic markers have been tried to identify subgroups of astrocytoma grade II with a rapid progressive clinical course.
I hope this information turns out to be useful to you.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here