Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Neoplastic Astrocytoma Grade 2

SSGMom - Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:12 pm

My adult son was just diagnosed with Neoplastic Astrocytoma Grade 2, a malignant tumor on his brain stem. We are now waiting on more tests to see if he has tumors in any other location. His symptoms are blurred/double vision, extreme migraine type headaches and he's very unbalanced in his walking. Because of the location of the tumor he is not a candidate for any biopsy or any type of surgery. I've also been told they will not be doing any radiation, which leaves only chemotherapy. The drug I've been told they plan to use is Temador. I'm scared out of my mind for him, and I have no idea what the future holds for him. Is there anything at all you can tell me about his situation? What success rate there may be in such cases? Any type of prognosis? I'm desperate for any information.

Thank you in advance for anything you can tell me.
One very scared Mom!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 am

I empathize with you on your predicament.
I see that you have left out some important information (the exact site of the tumor) that would have helped us to offer a better opinion.
From the symptomatology,i assume that it is probably sub-tentorial.
There is no universally recognised choice of therapy for patients with astrocytoma grade II.The clinical course is generally said to be unpredictable.
Proliferation and genetic markers have been tried to identify subgroups of astrocytoma grade II with a rapid progressive clinical course.
I hope this information turns out to be useful to you.
Good luck!

|