News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: METASTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA

HUMAYOON - Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 am

I am 67 years and recently had a severe pain in my right lung. Doctors suggested to do the MRI/CT scan and finally they diagnosed that i have " Pleural Fluid - Malignant Neoplasm D/Ds include Metastatic Adenocarcinoma" (LUNGS CANCER)

I have been told that it is in the secondary stage and the only treatment is Chemothrapy which i do not want to go for as i cannot tolerate its aftermaths.

May i please know if there is any treatment/cure through medicines, atleast from the severe pain and it is unbearable.

Thanks,
Hums
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 26, 2009 6:02 am

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are doing well. Has a lung mass been found on CT scan or bronchoscopy? Have all your other tests negative? Especially the abdominal CT?

Given your smoking history as well as the pathology result, lung cancer would definitely be on top of the list. If nothing else is found then the condition can be treated as lung cancer.

Unfortunately, if this were the case then the presence of malignant effusion in the setting of a lung cancer can only be treated with chemotherapy and precludes local treatment.

There are many options for the treatment of lung cancer, with milder forms of therapy (eg, monochemotherapy with a weekly single agent) for patients unable or unwilling to go ahead with more intensive treatment.

The advantages of treatment in this setting is disease control as well as a median survival benefit when compared to best supportive care.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here