Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: METASTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA

HUMAYOON - Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 am

I am 67 years and recently had a severe pain in my right lung. Doctors suggested to do the MRI/CT scan and finally they diagnosed that i have " Pleural Fluid - Malignant Neoplasm D/Ds include Metastatic Adenocarcinoma" (LUNGS CANCER)

I have been told that it is in the secondary stage and the only treatment is Chemothrapy which i do not want to go for as i cannot tolerate its aftermaths.

May i please know if there is any treatment/cure through medicines, atleast from the severe pain and it is unbearable.

Thanks,
Hums
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 26, 2009 6:02 am

I hope you are doing well. Has a lung mass been found on CT scan or bronchoscopy? Have all your other tests negative? Especially the abdominal CT?

Given your smoking history as well as the pathology result, lung cancer would definitely be on top of the list. If nothing else is found then the condition can be treated as lung cancer.

Unfortunately, if this were the case then the presence of malignant effusion in the setting of a lung cancer can only be treated with chemotherapy and precludes local treatment.

There are many options for the treatment of lung cancer, with milder forms of therapy (eg, monochemotherapy with a weekly single agent) for patients unable or unwilling to go ahead with more intensive treatment.

The advantages of treatment in this setting is disease control as well as a median survival benefit when compared to best supportive care.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

|