Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: firm oropharynx mass with nontender cervical adenopathy

elliepoetry - Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 am

I am a healthy 30 year old female with no smoking history and less than 1 drink per month... and have recently (aprox 6 weeks ago) noticed a firm, rubbery, nontender submandibular cervical adenopathy on the right. I have not experienced any throat soreness or other signs of infection, either locally, or systemically.

In examining my throat, I was able to palpate a peanut sized, nontender, firm mass in the area where my right tonsil was (tonsillectomy in 1997).

Both the small mass and the lymph node have remained consistent in size for these 6 weeks, and I am concerned about possible neoplasm, although I do not have many of the risk factors associated with oropharynx CA.

Wondering, in absence of examination of course, what your initial thoughts are?

Thank you in advance for your time...
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:31 am

I think this should be evaluated expeditiously by an ENT specialist.It is possible that the pea nut sized swelling in the tonsillar fossa had been there for sometime and is not related to the submandibular lymph node.Tonsillar malignancies are more common in males.However, it is best to get it sorted out quickly.Cheers!

|