News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: localized Groin lymphadenopathy

Brad1980 - Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Dear Doc,

Please help me with some positive feedback I have been worrying like crazy.

I am a 28 male I have localized lymphadenopathy in my upper right hand groin area with no additional symptoms. It all started about three weeks ago when I noticed a lump in my right groin area. (I went online and did some research which lead me to become obsessed with worry knowing I may have Lymphoma, Leukemia, or Melanoma). The lump was hard and painless shaped like a kidney bean and about 1.5 cm at the time.

Two week later I went to the doctor. At this time I noticed the hard painless lump to have regressed to 1cm long and .5cm wide. My doctor told me that the lump in my groin area was a swollen lymph node about 1cm. She said it was hard however she said she could move it, but I on the other hand thought it was fixed. To me the swollen lymph node is like a flap, I can flap it over, but it appears to be stuck on the bottom. Would this be considered movable to you? My doctor believes this is movable. Are all hard painless lymph nodes the size of 1cm cancerous? My doctor says not to worry that not all hard painless lymph nodes. Yet, I am so worried because on the internet everyone says hard painless lymph nodes are cancerous.

I also noticed a group of small lymph nodes (shotty nodes) in the crease of my groin and thigh about an inch below the hard swallon lymp node. Is this a major concern? Should I be worried about possible cancer spreading? I am hoping you tell me cancer spreading would not be associated with a group of shotty nodes.

About a month ago I developed blisters on my right foot (the side of the swollen groin lymph node). I exercise a lot and the blisters popped and turned into blood blisters which then pop and then scabbed up. My doctors says this could very well be the cause. She said the popped later scabbed blisters could be an infection so she prescribed me antibiotics. Do you think this could be an infection as well?

After three weeks of a swallon lymph node in my groin and five days of antibiotics I still have the swallon lymph node in my groin and the shotty nodes underneath. There are no signs of growth the hard painless swallon node is still 1cm long and .5cm wide. I am worried sick. My doctor said to come back and see here in two weeks if the node doesn’t go away for blood work and ultrasound.

One major worry is Melanoma. Do you think you can notice Melanoma on the skin first before it spreads to lymp nodes (please tell me so). My doctor says not to worry I would be able to notice Melanoma first on the skin if I had it. I have checked my moles and skin thoroughly using the internet guideline and pictures of Melanoma I have no signs of Melanoma that I can see. I will be going to a dermatologist just to get some closure.

I thank you so much for your time answering my questions. I am hoping to receive some positive feedback so I can stop worrying so much.

Kindest Regards,
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:25 am

User avatar Hello,You are not alone in worrying about small nodes in the groin,almost every student of anatomy will palpate,like I did too too to think of the very worst.Take heart,most of these nodes are related to minor injuries and after some time become smaller and painless.You did well to consult your doctor who has also reassured you.Best wishes to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here