Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: My mom has adv. NSCLC she is 47

honey25 - Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi,my mom has adv. NSCLC they say it is STAGE 3 there is ONE IN LEFT LUNG ,TWO IN RIGHT LUNG and one behind the heart were the (esophagoeus?) is.She is takeing chemo and on her 7th round 3 months ago they done a ct and it was skinking ,they done a x-ray the other day to look at her lungs to make sure she had no fluid in them due to swelling in her legs and face,they said by looking at the x-ray it had not srunk anymore.They are going to make an apt. for her to have a ct to make sure the x-ray was right this may be mid May!!.The Dr. is going to stop chemo until they get the ct done should he do this?Why not keep on with chemo until they find out what the CT says?

This is not the first time she has had NSCLC all most 2 years ago they found that she had a 2cm mass in her right lung and in a cupple limpnods she went trough 8 month of chemo and it was gone they seen this by a pet test.About 2 months after that they done a ct to make sure it was still gone they found a very very small spot and the Dr said he thought the cancer had came back but the Dr said we will wait a few months to check it agian.I thought this was not the right way to do things I think that if the Dr. had started the chemo then that my mom cancer would not be this bad.I asked her over and over to get a second opion but she would not do this because she is afriad her Dr. will not see he no more.The first time they done a bisopy to make for sure it was cancer this time they did not do one should they always do one to make for sure that it is cancer?This is my moms life on the line I fill that she needs a second opion do you think that a cancer patient's should have another look at this?Should it been treated as soon as they seen that small spot?I think it should have been treated right then and not give it time to grow,but I no Dr. Could you please help me this is so hard to go trough my mom is my best friend I am only 25 years old don't want to let her go!!!!!
This is a very hard thing for me to ask what is the out come when it is 3rd stage ?Not sure I really want to know but I think I need to.PLEASE HELP ANY WAY YOU CAN NAMES OF CHEMO THAT IS GOOD IN THIS STAGE OR ANY OTHER THOUGHTS,ANYTHING WILL HELP.
Thank you,
Honey25
 honey25 - Fri May 01, 2009 11:35 am

Hi, again the names of the chemo are GEMZAR 1000MG AND AVASTIN 800mg she takes these two on one day the 1st week,the 2nd week she takes GEMZAR 1600mg by itself,then she is off a week.She told me today that she seen another diagnosis on her papers it is ADENNOCARCINOMA is this another word for ADV. NSCLC or what is it?
The chemo she took the first time was (taxoil?) not sure if thats how you spell it.This chemo messed her nerves up in her legs and in her hands the hands are not as bad as the legs .She has to wear braces on her legs just to be able to walk.Is there something that can be done to the nervers in her legs to make them better?Thank you please help

THANK YOU,
Honey 25
 honey25 - Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Can someone please answer my ? I need someone to give me some advice on this.
Thank you,
Honey 25
 whethergirl - Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi, I'm not a doctor or nurse but I lost my mom to Stage IV lung cancer this summer, she was only 55 years old. I know how you feel, my mom was my best friend too and it was horrible seeing her go through this evil disease.

I would always, always recommend getting a second opinion. It can't hurt, and her doctor will not refuse to see her anymore if she gets another opinion. Do some research in your area and find an oncologist who sub-specializes in lung cancer, and see what he says. In my mom's case, the second opinion doctor agreed with what her primary oncologist was doing, but it was still peace of mind to hear it from another source.

Another piece of advice - don't spend too much time wondering if something should have been done that wasn't. It's too late to go back and change it now, and wasting energy on that won't help. I spent a huge chunk of my mom's 8-month battle with cancer angry that her primary doctor didn't give her a lung x-ray/CT earlier (she asked for it 2 years before diagnosis and her doctor told her she had anxiety and referred her to a psychiatrist), and it wasn't worth the energy I put into it.

Re: adenocarcinoma - there are two main types of non-small-cell lung cancer, squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. It basically just refers to the types of cells that make up the tumor.

My mom started with Taxol and then moved on to Gemzar/Gemcitibine, and eventually Navelbine. None of these really worked on her cancer. She wasn't able to try Avastin because of the type of cancer she had, but perhaps it will work for your mom! She also used Erbitux, which is a growth inhibitor. Is radiation an option? That might be something to look into. As far as I know, Stage III means the cancer has spread to some lymph nodes but not any other organs in the body.

Again, if you feel unsure about the care she is getting, I recommend getting a second opinion. I know how scary it is and I hope she will be successful fighting this disease!

|