Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: enlarged lymph nodes and spleen a sign of lymphoma?

Frances Shanks - Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 am

My 12 yr old son started with a small node behind his right ear several months ago. We waited for it to disappear as they normally do in kids. It has enlarged quite abit. We took him to dr, and they prescribed antibiotics. He completed the full cycle. During the two weeks of taking them he developed 3 more enlarged nodes in his left groin. 2 showed up one day, then a much larger one ( approx 1 inch) showed up 2 days later! He had a cat scan that showed these 3 nodes along with a mildly prominent spleen, and enlarged nodes in other groin side too..we don't seem to notice them though.. A chest xray reads: slight nodularity through the superior left hilar region. a small amount of adenopathy is not excluded. Could you please tell me what that means? All of his cbc work came back normal. He shows no infection in his system..they have done countless blood work along with HIV, they all c ame up negative. He also has none of the other symptoms that go along with lymphoma. I asked the dr. about that, and he said alot of people do not have other sypmptoms or during early stages of lymphoma a person may not exhibit other symptoms.. Doctors have scheduled him for a excision of 2 nodes from his groin. I would like to know your opinions of whether or not this likely could be lymphoma. This is what the surgeon said it might be. He doesn't seem to have "matched" pairs of enlarged glands..they seem to be random. Does having random enlarged nodes mean anything? Plus he has none enlarged in his neck as of right now.
Thanks so much for any information you provide!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 26, 2009 5:07 am

I hope your son is feeling better. What your son has is best described as generalized lymphadenopathy. This happens when more than one lymph node region is involved at the same time. The fact that new lymph nodes appeared while on antibiotics is also a cause for concern.
There are many causes for generalized lymphadenopathy from viral infections (that will not respond to antibiotics also) to some immunological disorders to several hematologic diseases as well as lymphoma / leukemia. I think your doctor did the right thing. I would definitely recommend excluding lymphoma at this stage.

The good news is lymphoma / leukemia responds very well to therapy in children compared to adults.

Please keep us updated and good luck to your son.

|