Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Submandibular lump

rachelann - Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:47 pm

About a week ago I noticed a lump in my neck. The lump is submandibular, directly midline, just where my chin and my neck meet. The lump is fixed, hard, and tender, though not painful. It doesn't seem to have any invovlment with my throat and I've had no hoarsness or recent URI's. I have not noticed any enlargement of any lymph nodes and I have been without fever. I have, however, been very fatigued lately. I have not had any dramatic weight loss. I saw a physician today and because they were very busy I felt as if I was not assessed as I should have been. This physician noticed a blemish on my chin that's small and scabbed over. She did not do a complete H&P, collect any labs, nor did she enquire about s/s I might have. She said that this lump was likely an enlarged lymph node r/t my pimple. I explained that I have had the lump days before the pimple appeared. She left and came back and wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic. She said that I should come back in two weeks after taking the antibiotic and if the lump has not gone away. My question is whether or not it's likely that a blemish could be the result of this lump in my neck and should I continue with the antibiotic as she prescirbed and follow up afterwards or should I see another physician?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:05 pm

Tenderness is one sign favouring inflammation to cancer as a cause of your lymph node enlargement. How large is your lymph node. Depending on your examination if the index of suspicion for malignancy is not high the standard procedure would be to prescribe an antibiotic and check after 2 weeks. Take into consideration that the most common cause of lymph node enlargement is infection.

It could be related to the scab you are describing or to a hidden septic focus. Either way I would agree with your doctors decision.

|