News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Submandibular lump

rachelann - Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:47 pm

About a week ago I noticed a lump in my neck. The lump is submandibular, directly midline, just where my chin and my neck meet. The lump is fixed, hard, and tender, though not painful. It doesn't seem to have any invovlment with my throat and I've had no hoarsness or recent URI's. I have not noticed any enlargement of any lymph nodes and I have been without fever. I have, however, been very fatigued lately. I have not had any dramatic weight loss. I saw a physician today and because they were very busy I felt as if I was not assessed as I should have been. This physician noticed a blemish on my chin that's small and scabbed over. She did not do a complete H&P, collect any labs, nor did she enquire about s/s I might have. She said that this lump was likely an enlarged lymph node r/t my pimple. I explained that I have had the lump days before the pimple appeared. She left and came back and wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic. She said that I should come back in two weeks after taking the antibiotic and if the lump has not gone away. My question is whether or not it's likely that a blemish could be the result of this lump in my neck and should I continue with the antibiotic as she prescirbed and follow up afterwards or should I see another physician?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
Tenderness is one sign favouring inflammation to cancer as a cause of your lymph node enlargement. How large is your lymph node. Depending on your examination if the index of suspicion for malignancy is not high the standard procedure would be to prescribe an antibiotic and check after 2 weeks. Take into consideration that the most common cause of lymph node enlargement is infection.

It could be related to the scab you are describing or to a hidden septic focus. Either way I would agree with your doctors decision.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here