Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Chest x-ray finding ???

cin - Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:12 pm

Recently had a chest x-ray finding of "very minimal nonspecific density in the anteroinfeior tip of lingular segment." Radiologist stated this could be "fibrosis or fat or peripheral atelectasis."

Follow-up x-ray not scheduled for another 6 months. Doctor is not too concerned but I am.

I am a 44 year-old female smoker. Went for x-ray because of chronic "phlegmy" cough and symptoms of pleurisy.

Is this finding significant? Shoud I request a sputum test or CT scan intead?

Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:20 pm

User avatar Since it says non-specific there should be nothing to worry about. This should be a warning sign to you though and should make you abstain from smoking. If you are still concerned then a CT would be the proper way to go.
 cin - Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:50 pm

Thank you for your response Doctor.

My greatest concern about the finding is the reference to Atelectasis. I researched this lung disease and found that tumors that obstruct the airway may lead to Atelectasis. Consequently, I've made the leap to lung cancer because of my history as a smoker.

I did mention to my physician that I would like a CT scan instead of a follow-up x-ray and he indicated that at this point it would be unnecessary. Only if the follow-up x-ray revealed a "change" in the finding would a CT scan be necessary. He did mention that about 20% of all chest x-rays come back with findings that are insignificant and that the radiologist is "obliged" to mention even the most insignificant findings. Yet, I fail to see how potential Atelectasis would be considered insignificant.

Finally, would this lung disease affect a PFT?

Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:50 am

User avatar I personally agree with your doctor's decision. However, let me refer you to our radiologist who can maybe give us more insight on the matter.
 cin - Mon May 23, 2005 10:45 pm

Hello Doctor,

I am having the same symptoms I described in this post back in February. Specifically, phlegmy cough (greenish sputum) and bad pleurisy pain.

The follow-up x-ray I had was OK. Subsequently, I had a PFT which showed mild asthma and mild diminshed lung capacity. Beginning last week, I began to have the same symptoms I described in this post back in February. Specifically, phlegmy cough (producing greenish sputum) and bad pleurisy pain.

This is the fourth bout of this in twelve months. My pleurisy always seems to be preceded by a chest cold/cough.

Is pleurisy something that can recur this often and not be serious? When I saw my Internist back in February he did not precsribe an antibiotic because he said pleurisy (if caused by an infection) is typically viral in nature and not bacterial. He also stated that greenish phlegm in not always indicitive of an infection.

Is this recurring pleurisy something people just have to live with? I am taking more than the recommended dosage of Aleve (3-4 tabs a day) for inflammation & pain and also using heat/cold compresses.

Is yet another chest x-ray (3rd in 3 months) necessary or should I request a CT scan or should I just assume this is how my body will always react to a chest cold?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Cindy
 cin - Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:23 pm

Since I haven't received a response, should I move this topic elsewhere? If so, where?
Thx

|