News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: worried about the impact of alcohol on cancers

shipwrecked - Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:31 am

Hi there, I have been reading in the press about the effect of alcohol drinking in women and types of cancers.

I have a drank quite considerably over the last 10/15 years - but I am now trying to cut down how many units I have per week (I am 35). However, I am worried I have already done long terms damage to myself - and this is non reversible. If I cut down my drinks intake will that reduce my risk - or is the damage already done?
I am trying to stick to 2/3 units a day - with a few days off. Is that a reasonable amount?

Any thoughts on this would be really appreciated.
 Jan PA-C MPH - Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:50 pm

Dear shipwrecked;

You are not....shipwrecked. Whether it is alcohol use, tobacco use, physical inactivity, high fat diet. These are all risk factors for breast cancer, as well as many other 'lifestyle diseases', heart disease, pulmonary disease, obesity, etc.

Regardless of what risk factor we are talking about, limiting or better, eliminating that risk factor can remarkably improve health status no matter how long you have been exposed to that risk factor.

It is never too late to start improving your health! Start today! Take one day at a time! and get support from your primary care provider who can point you in the direction of local support groups who can help you through the rough patches as you try to make these important changes in your life!
Good Luck and let us know how you are getting on!
Kind regards,
Jan
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:20 am

User avatar Hi,
Read through your interesting post and the very good reply by Jan PA-C MPH.
Alcohol is now considerred to be a carcinogen.
Recommended maximum intake of alcohol (as recommended by the health agencies of many governments) is very variable.There is no uniform scientific evidence for the 'safe daily limit' for alcohol.
Even 'moderate' consumption has been shown to increase the risk of certain cancers.
I have nothing more to add to the wonderful recommendations of Jan PA-C MPH.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here