Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: swallowing problems

sammy777 - Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:16 pm

I have had problems swallowing for about two years- I've been to the doc's and they did a barrium swallow and x-rays- i've lost 50 pounds because of it and now weigh only 90 lbs- when this started I weighed 140. When i can eat- I can chew my food - but as soon as I try to swallow- I choke on it/regurgitate- and I get a feeling of combination swollen glands and allergic reaction- a full feeling in the tissues of my neck and fullness in my glands - as well as pain -fullness in chest and extreme weakness/tiredness in my whole body- (every time I try to eat)- it feels like I ran the boston marathon- and all I did was try to get a couple of bites of food down me-( I do not have an eating disorder) and I can only eat during a certain part of the day- (what little amount I can) and "my window" is usually 5-6 PM- after that- or before that- it gets really bad and I sometimes cannot drink- I can't drink milk or soda or eat any of my favorite foods- like choc- it chokes me- and the doc's are stumped at what it could be- could you help?
thanks !

PS I'm hungry and I'd like to be able to eat like a normal person :)

Kathy C, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi Sammy, You did not mention what your xrays or barium swallow showed? Ha your physician discussed with you any interventions to help with nutrition? I know it sounds extreme but unless\untill an answer is found a tube inserted for nutrition may be a way to keep you from loosing anymore weight. Let me know.
 sammy777 - Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi- the x-rays and barrium came out normal- and all my lab and bloodwork came back as normal- so I've basically just gotten used to this whole situation- but I'm loosing more weight every week- I've been getting real dizzy and passing out when I stand up and I get very weak and tired -but my doc's say that as long as I can get "Some" fluids in me- I'll be fine- I actually ordered IV fluids online so if I get bad- I can just hook up to an IV- but other than that- the docs can't figure it out and don't seem too concerned.
I love to eat and have no psyco-or emotional problems and I lead a very happy, healthy lifestyle- I've never had problems swalowing before- but I have had alot of exposure to carbon monoxide- it sounds funny- but somel of the places I've lived have been found out to have very high concentrations of either black mold or gas leaks/cm. I've heard that this could be a contributor to these symptoms- is this true?

adriana - Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi Sammy,
I had a very similar problem recently, where all of a sudden every time I ate I had a lot of difficulty swallowing and kept choking on my food. My glands would get swollen and it was awful. I started not being able to eat at all. The doctors offered no help and told me that everything appeared fine when I had tests done. I began eating very little, and kept note of times when the swallowing was worse than others.
It has turned out that my swallowing difficulties only arised when I was eating food which contained gluten eg, wheat, pasta, bread etc..BE careful, wheat is in ALOT of foods you wouldnt expect.. like soya sauce, candy etc..

Since i came up with this discovery I have been living gluten free and I've never felt better. I don't know if you've ever considered this, but if you havent, you should really try and cut all gluten/wheat containing products from your diet. Things like Rice and corn are alright, and ther's lots of alternatives and good food to eat for people with this problem. Apparently this is a allergy that you can develop any time in your life. Please let me know what you think about this idea, and if it works for you at all.

|