News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Familial CLL?

bhasaji - Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:39 am

My father had CLL at 46 years age, and he passed at 57 years in 2005. Recently, I discovered that his aunt ( real sister of his mother) also has CLL and she is 72 years.

Is is a familial CLL? Could it be? Is there any way I can find if I am predisposed to developing CLL? I am 37 years male.

Sister of my father has also developed Ca Breast recently.

ANy response is highly appreciated
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:11 am

User avatar Hello,
First degree relatives of CLL patients have been found in some studies to have a higher risk of CLL as well as other tumors a phenomenon referred to as familial aggregation. Although this disease is not hereditary and there is no evidence of genetic transmission. It may be that certain genes that run in a family make it more likely for family members to develop these tumors.

Although, there aren't any formal guidelines for special screening of family members of CLL patients, it would be a good idea to let your family doctor / Aunt's doctor know of your concern.

I am throwing in a few references for convenience.

REFERENCES:
===========
1. Cuttner, J. Increased incidence of hematologic malignancies in first-degree relatives of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Invest 1992;10(2):103-9.
2. Yuille MR; Matutes E; Marossy A; Hilditch B; Catovsky D; Houlston RS. Familial chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a survey and review of published studies. Br J Haematol 2000 Jun;109(4):794-9.
3. Brown JR; Neuberg D; Phillips K; Reynolds H et al. Prevalence of familial malignancy in a prospectively screened cohort of patients with lymphoproliferative disorders. Br J Haematol. 2008 Nov;143(3):361-8. Epub 2008 Aug 20.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here