News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Lesion on my scalp

kevykev - Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi there.
I'm a 36 year old male, with an olive complexion. I'm bald and use a set of clippers to shave down the areas on my head where hair still grows.

Last week, I noticed a pink, inflamed cluster of bumps. I thought it was razor burn, but the cluster got a little larger over the next couple days and kind of formed into a flattish, raised lesion. Now, the lesion seems to be getting smaller. but I've also noticed it getting slightly scabby and red on spots. The area is somewhat sore and hard to the touch.

I recalled that I had used WD-40 on the clippers before using them (a lubricant I hadn't used on them before) on the day that I noticed the spots. I also went to a public water park that day.

So, naturally I'm wondering if this is some form of cancer or pre-cancerous growth or if it's just a kind of dermatitis, eczema or psoriasis. I've had little patches of eczema on other parts of my body in the past and have had a few rounds of blepharitis.

Here's an image of the lesion taken today (the small spot in the back/middle of my head has been there forever, I'm referring to the pink spot nearer the front of my head): http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/389 ... 3ab21a.jpg

Thanks so much.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 am

User avatar Hello,There are two possible diagnosis.One a seborrheic dermatitis ie severe form of dandruff,the other psoriasis.The earlier one itches more often than the later,and not well circumscibed.Some times they are clinically difficult to distinguish .They are not of precancer and respond well to treatment.Fungus infections are to be ruled out too.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here