News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: PSA of 18000, dark spots on shoulder bone, postrate cancer

mjod - Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Brother 74 diagnosed with postrate cancer on Tue. His PSA was 18000. What does a PSA test that high reveal? 1 week later he had his testicles removed to stop testosterone production to stop cancer. Dark spots were noted on an x-ray of his shoulder. He was told that they could be testoserone. I do not understand how testosterone could cause dark spots on the bone or is it as I suspect postrate cancer in the shoulder bones?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:50 pm

User avatar Hi,
Testosterone is known to increase bone density. The only way (to the best of my knowledge) to connect testosterone therapy to 'osteolytic' bone lesions is by its association with 'Acne fulminans', a form of fulminant acne and osteolytic lesions have been reported in this condition.I do not know if your brother happens to have severe acne which developed while on testosterone therapy.

PSA ranges differ by race. The normal, or what is considered to be the safe range for European-American men aged 50 to 80 is
0 - 3.5 ng/ml.

The range for African-American men is quoted to be 0 to 2.0 ng/ml for men in their 40s, rising to 4.0 when they are in their 50s, 4.5 in their 60s, and 5.5 in their 70s.

A PSA value of 18000 needs to be repeated,preferably at a different laboratory! Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here