News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colon Cancer, Chemo Treatment, and HMO's

jonince - Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:56 pm

I have a question regarding colon cancer. If surgery was done and they removed 15 lymph nodes 5 of the 15 were cancerous, but now they are saying the cancer is out side of the colon. Recently, they have said that it has gone from stage 3B to stage 4 colon cancer. The only treatment that has been given is Chemo.

I read posting which the doctor had replied to a posting that Chemo alone is not going to cure the cancer. My question is what else needs to be done and why would they not give the proper treatment off the bat if Chemo alone will not prevent the spread? Do they need to do localized radiation or another kind of treatment (please advise so I can let the doctor know)?

The next question is how would one seek a second opinion that would be covered by my medical coverage (or that would not be costly) which is medicare/Kaiser if there is one?

Here is more information which you might need to consider.
Age - 70
Female
Diabetic type 2
High blood Pressure
High Cholesterol
Heart Valve Replacement Surgery - June 2007
Colon Cancer Lymph Node removal surgery - May 2008

Medications taken
Glipizde 10mg (when needed)
Simvastatin 20mg (1/2 per day)
Atenolol 25mg (1 per day)
Lisinopril 20mg (1 per day)
Chemo once every other week (if blood labs are ok)

Chemo has been given since the last Cancer surgery with the numbers remaining high (I do not have the numbers).
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:22 am

User avatar Hi,
Treatment for stage IV/metastatic colorectal cancer is highly individualized. No single treatment plan is suitable for each and everyone.

You say that your cancer has now been said to be in stage IV.You have not mentioned the sites of spread.Also not mentioned is whether there is any local/regional recurrence.

For isolated metastasis to the liver, resection could be considered provided,the primary is adequately controlled and there are no other obvious metastasis.Radiotherapy has not much of a role in this situation.

Your doctor will be the best person to tailor the treatment according to your individual case.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here