News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Large lump over right breast

ydnas - Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:13 pm

I have a fairly large lump on the top part of my right breast. It is not perfectly round, and is very painful when touched. I am about a week away from my menstrual cycle, so I am unsure if it has anything to do with that. I told my mom, a registered nurse, about it, and she informed me that it is most likely a cyst that will dissappear after my period. I am not yet convinced because it is so painful. My chest seems to ache from within when i move a certain way, and sometimes when I inhale and exhale. I am only 22 years old, so I highly doubt it is cancer, especially as I have no family history. I am concerned that it could be something serious though...I have had breast pain and small lumps before, but nothing like this that has lasted so long. Please help give me some answers about this! Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:32 am

User avatar Hi,
Breast cysts develop through processes of lobular involution and,
are found mostly in perimenopausal women.
It is uncommon to find cysts in women younger than age 35.
Cysts may develop in postmenopausal women, but
this is distinctly uncommon unless the woman is taking HRT.

While examining breast lumps, we first try to determine whether the 'lump' is a 'discreet' (well demarcated on all sides from the breast tissue) lump or not.If it is a 'discreet' lump, it needs to be evaluated by "Triple assessment" - the components of which are as follows...
- clinical breast examination
- imaging of the breast and
- a biopsy of the suspected lesion.

If it is not discreet, and if it is related to the menstrual cycles, then it may be 'lumpiness' caused by FCC(fibrocystic changes).

However, i am not able to explain the increase in pain due to positional changes that you mention.It is better to consult your GP for initial assessment. Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here