Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Adenocarcinoma of the lung with brain metastasis

Anonymous - Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:07 pm

I have adenocarciona and brain metastases both were removed by surgery i do not want chemo or radiation therapy what is my life excpectancy?
 Anonymous - Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:08 pm

Lanousha,

I have read your post about your lung cancer. Could you provide more information? How many lesions in the brain were removed? Were they all removed? What is the status of your lung cancer outside of the brain? Is is growing or not?

Standard treatment of brain metastases from the lung is to seriously consider neurosurgical resection. This cannot be done all of the time. If the lesions are too large, if they are in delicate areas of the brain that surgery might cause permanent brain dysfunction, or if the lesions are too multiple in number, then surgery cannot be done. If a lesion is removed, then whole brain radiotherapy is given. A recent study presented at a national Radiation Oncology meeting has shown that using stereotactic radiosurgery after whole brain radiotherapy can be of even better benefit than using just whole brain radiotherapy alone, in select situations. The concern about just doing surgery without any follow-up radiotherapy is that any microscopic disease near where the surgery was done will grow and that further surgeries cannot be done, and that other areas of the brain may harbor microscopic disease and these areas can grow. As cancer grows in the brain, neurologic problems can develop. My best to you.

|