"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Painful lump on neck

mp213 - Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:25 am

Hi, yesterday I developed a painful lump on the side of my neck - I thought that sleep would make a difference, but it hasn't. In late November, I had the same problem - a lump (lymphnode?) erupted on the upper left side of my neck but disappeared in one-two weeks, but has now erupted again on the same side. I wouldn't worry but the fact is it hurts. I have also developed a lymphnode on the right side of my neck about two-three inches from my collar bone. My question is, what should I do about it? And is it any cause for concern?

Thank You.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:44 am

User avatar Hi mp213,
Generally speaking, swollen, painful lymph nodes may be a sign of infection. Your lymph nodes sometimes swell because lymph nodes are the bodies filter system, so to speak, for bacteria etc. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician who will likely prescribe a course of antibiotic therapy to see if they decrease in size. If the swelling is due to an infection this should resolve the problem. Keep in mind however, that lymph nodes may not return to their preinfectious size but they should not continue to increase in size either.