News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: hardened lymphatic vessel in the arm

jclvsall - Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:29 am

Hello. I have been trying to decide if I need to go have this looked at. I had a swollen lymph node in my armpit about 5 weeks ago. It was painful and the pain spread down my arm and side. The pain began to subside but I noticed a "line" running from the node down my arm. -very easy to feel the strand. Eventually the swelling went away but
the vessel is still hard. I can feel pain if I stretch it out and run my fingers over the vessel. When I was looking for information on swollen lymph nodes, I thought I saw something about surgery on vessels. Can you give me any info if I should be concerned about this or expect it to clear up? Thanks so much for your time and help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:30 pm

User avatar Hi,
It could well be a thickened and palpable lymphatic vessel. I do not know which part of the world you are residing.

In areas where filariasis is endemic, recurrent, acute filarial lymphadenitis and associated lymphangitis (acute filarial fever) at times leads to persisting thickened and palpable lymphatic vessels(sub cutaneous).

During episodes of acute lymphangitis,the larger lymphatic trunks dilate and become visible as reddish streaks.This is because, they usually have a vessel running on their surface which becomes dilated and visible under the skin.Once the acute phase subsides, these vessels may no longer be seen but the lymph trunk may persist(if recurrent acute episodes occur).

I can't guess the cause of lymphangitis in your case but, as yours seems to be of recent onset and perhaps the first episode(whatever the cause), it should hopefully clear in the near future.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here