Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: hardened lymphatic vessel in the arm

jclvsall - Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:29 am

Hello. I have been trying to decide if I need to go have this looked at. I had a swollen lymph node in my armpit about 5 weeks ago. It was painful and the pain spread down my arm and side. The pain began to subside but I noticed a "line" running from the node down my arm. -very easy to feel the strand. Eventually the swelling went away but
the vessel is still hard. I can feel pain if I stretch it out and run my fingers over the vessel. When I was looking for information on swollen lymph nodes, I thought I saw something about surgery on vessels. Can you give me any info if I should be concerned about this or expect it to clear up? Thanks so much for your time and help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:30 pm

It could well be a thickened and palpable lymphatic vessel. I do not know which part of the world you are residing.

In areas where filariasis is endemic, recurrent, acute filarial lymphadenitis and associated lymphangitis (acute filarial fever) at times leads to persisting thickened and palpable lymphatic vessels(sub cutaneous).

During episodes of acute lymphangitis,the larger lymphatic trunks dilate and become visible as reddish streaks.This is because, they usually have a vessel running on their surface which becomes dilated and visible under the skin.Once the acute phase subsides, these vessels may no longer be seen but the lymph trunk may persist(if recurrent acute episodes occur).

I can't guess the cause of lymphangitis in your case but, as yours seems to be of recent onset and perhaps the first episode(whatever the cause), it should hopefully clear in the near future.

|