News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: moles turning black and bleeding

dedleemiho - Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Over the past 7 months I've had 6 different moles suddenly turn from their normal brown color to black. Each one would go through a stage of turning black and crusty, then beginning to hurt and bleed. Their usually rounded edges would start to become jagged and seem to lose color into my surrounding skin. Eventually the black would scale off and some of them look normal again but some look multi color brown now. The mole locations vary from one on my face, one on my upper back one on my upper arm, one on my lower arm, and 2 on my hip. Each one going all weird on me at a different times except the 2 on my hip that started changing together most recently. I've had these mole forever and some are tiny and some are pencil eraser size. Up until now they've always been perfectly round and one solid color brown. I don't know what to think and I don't have health insurance so I'm weary of going to the doctor if I'm worrying for nothing. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:55 am

User avatar Hello,There is a method known as ABCD for moles to be identified to rule out serious problems like melanomas,A-Assymetry ie a rounded mole changing shape.B-Border irregularity.C-Color variation.D-Diameter over 6mm or more.In your case I do not know whether they are moles or other pigmented areas like lentigenes or seborrheic keratoses.The best option would be to get a dermoscopy done by a dermatologist,a very simple procedure.You must go to a physician,ideally a dermatologist who can help you to reassure you that there is no problem.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here