Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Oral Cancer and Anal Cancer

bubblegum122087 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 pm

I am having a bit of a hard time and I really need some advise.

About a month ago my fiance told me he was convinced he had tongue cancer. He said he had a bump at the base of his tongue that was raised and painful. He said he thinks it had moved to his neck glands because he has had a sore throat, headaches, body aches. etc.

My fiance is 29 and has been unemployed for 6 months, not eating well, not sleeping well, not having the best hygiene either. The bump pretty much just showed up... pretty quickly. All of the symptoms he listed are all just very common complaints (aches/sore throat/etc.) other than the bump on his tongue. I honestly think that it is something else but he has been smoking for about 15 years so I know that it is a possibility. He REFUSES to go to the doctor. He says he's too scared. I'm worried for his health and mine as well if it could be something contagious.

About 2 weeks later he said he had symptoms similar to "hairy tongue." His tongue is white and his "buds" are overgrown and it's just kinda icky. (sorry for the oh-so-very non-medical terms but I don't know proper terms) He has been scraping his tongue like every day and brushing it. However his oral hygene has never really been the best. It's not clearing up at all and he says the bump is getting more painful and red/swollen feeling. He has also had an issue with one of his teeth for about 2 years now, they were going to remove it but he couldn't afford it... could it be an issue with that?

Then..... about 5 days ago he said he thought he now had full body cancer. He said he hadn't mentioned it before because he was embarrassed but that he had a lump inside his anus that has grown slowly over the past 6 months. He says it goes from the anus up about an inch or so and is about the size of a cigarette lighter. So now he is convinced he has both cancers. I know something like that could also be something like an assess but I am no doctor and obviously this is not something anyone would try to examine on their own.

He has been a bit of an over-exagerator in the past with health issues but I am worried and I don't know how to make him see that he needs to go too the doctor. Everyone is worried, especially me and his mother, he needs to get healthy. I do think he is most scared about the tongue issue but I also know that many men are very nervous/scared/embarrassed about issues regarding their anus.

As I understand it full body cancer would basically be impossible as his body would have pretty much completely shut down by now, if it was in both his tongue and anus.

I need some opinions and help on how to get him into a doctor. I love him more than anything but anything I say seems to make him just get angry.

Please help in any way that you can.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:23 pm

It is not unusual for synchronous(occuring at about the same time) or metachronous(occuring after a variable interval) malignant tumors occuring in a certain region (for example, upper aero-digestive tract, urothelium).

But it is not that common for a cancer in the oral cavity co-existing with an anal cancer.
As common things always occur commonly, i would tend to try and exclude the possibility of condylomata acuminatum,caused by papillomavirus which is transmitted by sexual contact.It tends to occur at areas of minor unrecognized trauma.

As you love him so much, it will be wise of you to somehow persuade him to consult your GP, who may then be able to refer mim to the right person.
Good luck!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 am

User avatar Hello,Candidiais ie yeast infections can occur on the tongue as well at the anal site especially after prolonged antibiotic therapy,or debility and an immune weakened status.Probiotics and improving the nutrition would help and like what Dr.Kamath says it is unlikely to be what you fear.Of course condylomas occur in the anal area,but again a presentation at both places is rather unusual.Take care.Regards.

|