Forum Name: Endometrial Cancer

Question: Adenocarcinoma Endometrium

Leena - Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:41 pm

Dear Doctors,

My friend was diagnosed with Adenocarcenoma of the endometrium in January 2001. The doctor though initially decided to do hysteractomy on her suddenly changed his mind since she was only 30 and never had a chance to have a baby. They decided to treat her with Provera 10mg for one year period. In between this they did altogether 8 biopsies in an 8 month period! The doctors did tests every month such as Hysteroscopy +ECC(endocervical curettage+EA.) The subsequent samples showed nothing serious.

After stopping Provera, the doctors wanted the couple to try for a baby and to speed up the process they put her on fertility drugs and altogether treated her with Fertomide and Letrozole tablets,and then they did ultra sound every month on her during the medication.Initially eggs were not produced but improvment were shown later.Then they injected her with Profassi 500 IU twice and since nothing was happening they prescribed an HSG and it showed the uterus synache with irregular filling defects, bilateral fimbrial both end blockage. In May 2003 the doctor recommended laproscopic sugery to remove the blockage.

Despite all the pain that she has endured for more than two years

1)do you think there is a chance for her to conceive a baby ?
2)Her doctor said that if she gets pregnant, there will be a good chance that the adenocarcinoma of the endometrium will be reversed and thus the problem might be solved permanently but if she does not get pregnant there is a possibility that this problem can come back later. Is this true?
3)What is the possibilty of a complete cure with this medication?
4)Is she at risk if she delays getting a hysterectomy? Kindly give your valueable opinion.

thanks

Leena[/b]
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:43 pm

Leena,

Thanks for your post to The Doctor's Lounge. Fertility and infertility issues are beyond my area of expertise. I won't be able to help you with those questions. I don't know the specifics of your friend's endometrial cancer diagnosis. As a medical Oncologist, I tend to see patients with advanced stages of endometrial cancer. It sounds like from your post that your friend has an early stage, but that surgery is being deferred since a hysterectomy will preclude the future possibility of bearing children. You may want to post your question on the Intern Medicine or Fertility Boards on this web site. If there are any Gynecology Oncologists who stop by this site, then they would be better able toasnwer these questions.

|