Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Two small lumps to the back off neck on right hand side.

BUBBA1771 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 am

I need advice before I go out off my mind with worry. Back in February I had a very bad viral infection and discovered a small lump on my neck, as I was having other treatments at the time (signoscopy & gynae problems) I forgot about it until about two months ago and it was still there. I went to the doctor and she ran bloods and I have had Toxoplasmosis in the past (all other bloods were clear) which she explained is prob the cause of the lump but because a second one had appeared (in the space of a week-one month ago) she referred me for a biopsy, my date for it is in two weeks time.

The reason i'm outta my mind with worry is because everytime i search my symptons ie, the fixed, multiple lumps seems to come up as malignant.

I've had night sweats but no other symptons (these are never as bad that i've to change my clothes)my lumps are also about 0.5cm each right beside each other.

Sorry if this is a bit mixed up but any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated, maybe other answers rather than cancer. I'm so scared.

PS: I'm a 26 yr old female.

Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:18 am

Generally, lymph Nodes that are suspicious of malignancy are larger(nodes <0.5 cm are usually considered benign), firm,rubbery or hard in consistency.Fixity is also makes them suspicious.Matting is usually seen in tubercular lymphadenitis, but also may be seen in lymphomas(peri-adenitis) and other malignancies.

Hard consistency of a lymph node is generally indicative of malignancy but, there are benign nodes which can be hard as well!, for example, calcified tuberculous lymph nodes.

Perhaps there are more causes of benign lymph node enlargement than malignant ones.

Toxaplasmosis is a well known cause of cervical lymph node enlargement.Immunocompromised individuals are at a higher risk.

One needs to be concerned about lymph node enlargement, but,it is better to be left to the doctor to decide,investigate and arrive at a diagnosis.
 Big Boy53 - Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 am

I also have a lump on my neck, just one near the ear. My nose doctor noticed
it while examining me for polyups up the nose and to take my tonsils out.

He sent me for a CT SCAN on the neck and my lung doc wanted one on my chest.
I have sleep apnea and a lung problem from over weight. I'm 5'10 and 250 lbs.
I used to weight 305 and lost all that weight and I'm still too heavy.

When I lied down for the scan, I couldn't. I got a shortness of breath and got
panicky. The tech didn't want to inject me with the thinner and IV until she
was sure I could do the entire scan. I couldn't.

My lung doc said it is because of my diaphram pushing weight into my lungs. It
also had hernia 5 years ago. I'm 62 now. He administered breathing tests that
were terrible but my oxygen level was 93% after losing 10 lbs from the last
visit.

The nose doc aborted the surgery refusing to do a local anesthia on my nose.

They want me to go back for the sanc in a month. I've lost 5 more lbs.

The nose doc said the lump is a cancer but not malignant but it will spread.

Now I'm scared that I won't be able to have surgery on it or the polyups and
tonsils.

I take care of my 85 yr old mother and administer her insulin. She needs me.

I'm scared.

Thank you.

|