News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Bone pains, bleeding tendency

kos85 - Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:57 pm

I'm really worried that I have leukemia. I have petechiae on my arms and chest and some bone pain. This all started when i got a headache...now new things keep popping up like tinnitus in my right ear, dizziness that went away, and bleeding gums when I brush or floss.

I'm convinced I have leukemia but my doctor said the petachiae was nothing to worry about. But otherwise I feel pretty good...the bleeding under the skin and gums is scaring me. Is it likely leukemia?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:12 am

User avatar Hi kos85,
A number of conditions may cause petechiae in addition to leukemia. Have you had any diagnostic studies to identify the problem? Have you had any other symptoms, for example, fever, weight loss, sweats at night? You mentioned bone pain, where exactly is the bone pain located? The dizziness and tinnitus may be related to vertigo (an ear disorder) that may produce those symptoms.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 kos85 - Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:44 pm

Well, the bone pain is mostly my lower left leg and knee but happens in both. Also, I have a burning sensation off and on in my left side that the doctor said could be anything. I could be worrying over nothing but all my symptoms point to leukemia. I'm worried because I read that tinnitus could be due to anemia caused by leukemia. It seems everything has led me back to leukemia and its starting to scare me.

I've seen a ear, throat doctor for the tinnitus and dizziness, but he couldn't find a problem. The diziness and tinnitus as with the pain in my left come and go. I don't know what to think anymore and I'm tired of going to the doctor.

Also, I had blood drawn for a mono test two weeks ago, would the doctor have done a CBC likely? If so he would have told me if anything looked abnormal I'm guessing.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:21 am

User avatar Hi kos85,
A test for mono is called a monospot. The blood tests detects the presence of certain antibodies. A CBC isn't evaluated with this test. However, if you have had labwork completed besides the test for mono, then certain abnormalities would have been noted on these, if a blood disorder such as leukemia was a question. Keep in mind as I stated before that there are numerous reasons for petechiae other than leukemia. Vertigo can and does sometimes spontaneously disappear. Bleeding gums can be caused by gingivitis among other things. Although I certainly understand your concern, please don't automatically assume that you have a cancerous disorder before other explainations are provided. Check with your physician, discuss the labs or diagnostic studies that have been completed and ask him or her for an explaination at that time. If no other labs or diagnostic studies have been done then in my opinion the evaluation for any disorder is incomplete.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here