Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymphnodes, random bruising and neutropenia

dm3838 - Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:50 am

I am 26 and prior to this past year have always been very healthy and active cycling to work which is 20 miles a day and regularly run for an hr most days. My diet has always been spot on i.e. whole foods and almost total elimiation of all processed foods, cereals and refined grains. However over the last year my health has gradually declined but more noticably since the beginning of the summer. My symptoms and tests so far have been

Low white blood cells from almost a year which my GP describes as persistant neutropenia - follow up blood film was normal
Persistant low hemoglobin levels
Random and unexplained bruising in my arms, elbows, hands and legs with pain which runs down my upper arms to my elbow
Nights sweats which come and go and leave my clothes quite damp (sometimes last for a week then go) and accompanied by an itching in my thighs and legs - can't quite locate the itch
General fatigue, nausea and about 20 pounds in weight loss since January
Swollen lymph nodes in my neck just under my jaw about 1.5cm and they are quite painful at times
Irregular periods since the end of April - I have only had 2
Constant colds throughout summer
Left side upper abdominal pain which comes about once a month and lasts a week and runs from just under my ribs through breast bone, arm pit (which swells on the outer side closer to my breast), shoulder blade and right across my chest

Sorry if this is a bit vague but I'm a little worried as at times I just feel so unwell and having pretty much always been such an active person this is really worrying and frustrating. I have just had a coagulation blood test for the bruising and have to wait for two weeks for my next GPs appointment and then they will make a decision whether it is necessary to refer me to a hematologist. I haven't been sexually active so an infectious viral infection is not really a possibility. I'm just hoping someone will be able to shed some light on what could be wrong as I just want to get back to my old self and beginning to fear the worst as I seem to pick up one virus after another.a
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:08 am

User avatar Hello,you should get investigated to rule out a possible systemic lupus erythematosis or a mixed connective tissue disorder.Neuropenia,arthritis,loss of weight,anaemia,a possible thrombocytopenia leading to bruising,lymphadenopathy are some of the features.But from history you do not have a malar rash,mucus ulcers,and arthritis which are more specific.Best to get your ANA titers which would rule out SLE in most instances.You must get an haematological opinion to rule out other causes of lymphadenopathy like tuberculosis, since you present with night sweats.Best wishes.
 dm3838 - Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:00 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have since seen a haematologist. My chest pain has been worse and very breathless at times. My haemoglobin has also dropped significantly and I'm now very anaemic. They have ruled out autoimmune disorders etc but my submandibular left, axillary, posterior triangle are all still enlarged. The doctor has opted to remove one of these and I'm assuming this is a biospy?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:53 am

User avatar Hello,You definitely would need a biopsy or an FNAC, which I am sure would give a clue or diagnosis to your underlying condition.Hoping you would recover soon.Best wishes.
 KimCalli - Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:34 pm

I hope all is well. I have Severe Chronic Idiopathic Neutropenia and have similar symptoms, but I do have the mouth ulcers and malar rash. I have had my ANA tested multiple times and it has always been negative. I was diagnosed with Neutropenia about 2 years ago and I still don't have a cause. I hope you fair better than me. Just know that you are not alone in with your medical issues and I have found it very helpful to have someone with similar problems to talk to. Good luck!

|