News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: can i stop using avodart

bertie - Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:12 pm

had a urologist check me out. he said there was a SLIGHT change in the cellular structure after a biopsy, and prescribed avodart because it shrink my enlargedEnlarged adenoids
Enlarged prostate prostate and takes care of this PIN #. after 6 months there was no PIN,,,,and the prostate has shrunk(i do not know how much).

avodart has these side effects, and i don't like it. so i asked the urologist if i could not take avodart. he suggested i should continue but did not give me a definitive answer about whether the PIN would come back if i stopped. in fact, it sounded to me more like a strong SUGGESTION than a definitive MUST DO.

and that is my question to you. as a background note, i did not take avodart for the first month after it was first prescribed. also, my body seems to react very well to medicine,,,ie, i take the advair discus, but rather than the prescribed 2 puffs i can take 1 every other day.

anyway, does avodart eliminate the PIN or does it merely control it,,,like hbp medicine. if i stopped taking it, and the PIN came back, would taking avodart again eliminate the PIN again?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am

User avatar Hi,
Androgen deprivation therapy for high grade 'Prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia' (PIN) has been tried and some reports indicate that
Androgen deprivation therapy decreases the prevalence and extent of PIN, suggesting that this form of treatment may play a role
in chemoprevention of prostatic cancer.

In persons diagnosed as having 'Multifocal high grade PIN', it may take upto 10 years for a prostatic cancer to manifest. So,studies on chemoprevention necessarily have to be of long duration.What is the optimum duration of chemoprevention is not yot clear.Studies are on-going in this regard.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here