Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Rectal Bleeding

hippiewitch - Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm a 29 year old female. I have a concern. I wipe the inside as well as the outside when cleaning up after I have a bowel movement. I have ocd,too and I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning after I use the bathroom. Well,wiping the inside as well started making it bleed a little awhile ago,but the other day,it bled more than usual and today,it bled even more after I did that. I don't know if I have hemmoroids{spelling ?} or if I have irritated it a lot. It hurt a little,too at one point when I hit a certain point I guess when I was wiping the inside. It also has felt like I have a bump on the outside as well. I can't afford to go to a doctor right now,but what does this sound like?

Michelle
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 am

Hard to know for sure. But I think you could be correct that the wiping inside could have caused irritation and started the blood. So, please try to not do that. Anytime we put something in our rectum there is a chance for trauma. The tissue is very sensitive in the GI tract. It could also be hemorrhoids which are flaring due to the excessive cleaning of the inside. However, please don't take this all at face value and see a physician as soon as you can. If the bleeding worsens and is continuous ....not stopping after leaving the toilet, then go to the E.R.
Debra Van Ness RN
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 am

User avatar Hi hippiewitch,
My advise to you would be...
Do not try to clean the 'inside'.This is totally unnecesary.This is certain to cause harm.One of the things that may happen is injury to the rectal mucosa resulting in what is known as a 'solitary rectal ulcer' that can cause bleeding.The other thing that may happen is 'proctitis'- which is inflammation of the anal canal.
As you say you have OCD,
you must consult your psychiatrist, reveal this practice of yours and get councelled.
Good luck!

|