Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Carotidynia plus lumps

klm010210 - Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 pm

I had tenderness and swelling on the left side of my neck. My doctor said it was Carotidynia. Normally, I would accept that this was the problem and move on. The issue is that in addition to the recent Carotidynia, I have had a bump on the roof of my mouth (left side) that swells for 3-4 years now. Also, since April, the left neck muscels have been sore. A few weeks ago I noticed there is a lump (again left side) of the back of my head about 1.5" from the earlobe near the prominent skull bone (anatomy is not my strong suit). I find it concerning that these symptoms all occur on the left side and would really appreciate any suggestions of what could cause this. I of course think the worst, and it is causing me a great deal of anxiety. Thank you!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 am

Carotidynia is classified under orocervical 'dynias'. Some believe that it is not a disease entity but, a symptom complex.Mostly affects women and curiously, a sizable number of sufferers of this malady have been reported to have 'Cancer phobia'.

The lump on the roof of your mouth (i guess, the hard palate) should be evaluated soon.Lumps over the hard palate could arise from accessory salivary glands and their nature should be confirmed(malignancy should be excluded).Your doctor would no doubt assess the swelling behind the left ear at the same time.

|