News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Cell Cancer

Question: aren't I too young to have had Renal Cancer

jmakh - Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 pm

I am a 34-year-old female who was diagnosed with renal cancer March - April 2007 (32 at the time) I had a partial nephrectomy of my right kidney after which a biopsy said it was actually pre-cancerous. what does that mean, really?

I was never refered to an oncologist, though our hospital (small town) did have an oncology department. I was alone at school and had no advocate or support system and things essentially just "happened" to me. It was an incidental finding and very small. I had earlier CT scans only a year before and no cancer was seen then. So was it just new and is there any way that this could have come from some other area in my body? Noone has ever checked, and now I have moved, have new doctors, etc. The only thing I can find is that apparently this is more of a "geriatric" cancer, though has been found in people in there 40s. I have looked up the risk factors and possess NONE. I have never smoked, or drank alcohol, or taken drug; I have never been on any medications, I am not a man, I am white and way younger than 60 years; I exercise regularity (though not excessively), I eat healty, I rest enough, I even practice yoga...

My question is two-fold:

How could I have even gotten this cancer? and
Do I need to worry about any cancer in the future?

Sincerely,
MC
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 am

User avatar Hi,
Firstly let me try to appraise you of some of the reported features of renal cell carcinoma (RCC).

Unlike many genitourinary malignancies, premalignant lesions in the kidney are scarcely described. Intratubular epithelial dysplasia has been sited as the most common precursor of RCC.

In von Hippel-Lindau syndrome (VHL) where the evolution from a simple cyst - - atypical cyst with epithelial hyperplasia- - to cystic or solid conventional RCC is well described in the literature.

An adenoma-carcinoma sequence has been recognized in the genesis of papillary RCC with specific genetic changes.

Familial and genetic factors are well documented in VHL disease, in hereditary papillary RCC, in the tuberous sclerosis complex and in familial RCC.

One other thing worth noting is the observation that the familial renal cell carcinomas tend to occcur in younger individuals and could be bilateral.

Also, the incidence in women is on the increase and approaching that of men.

In the absence of more information (such as the histological type of your tumor, results of genetic studies (if any), it is difficult to predict the future course of your disease.
Let's hope for the best.Good day!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here