Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: A lump in my breast

misslynn - Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:49 pm

i'm 23 an i have found a lump, i'm kinda scared. i don't know if its cancer i don't know how to tell. It hurts really bad if i bump it or have a tight shirt on. theres no discolor or wierd spots or anything. please help me let me know what i can do besides pay alot of money for a scan
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:51 am

Firstly have yourself examined by your GP who would be able to determine whether it is a discreet lump or just 'lumpiness'.
In case there is need your GP will be able to refer you for a surgical consult.
The routine assessment of any breast lump is by what is known as a 'Triple assessment', whose components are...
- clinical examination
- imaging (radio-mammogram or sono-mammogram) and
- a biopsy.
I hope you will get assessed adequately.Best wishes!!
 fitzy - Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:03 am

i'm 16 and i have a lump on my left breast under the skin which is roughly between 2-3 cm ; it causes me quite a lot of discomfort (to describe the pain on and around the lump i get severe sharp pains) i am also suffering from headaches which is not common for me
 Marlyn - Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 pm

I have a lump under my left arm almost in the breast area, I had a mamogram and an ultra sound done on it a few years back. i was told it was non threatening and that I could remove it if I wanted to but it was not necessary. It was not causing any discomfort at the time so I just left it alone. It is now causing some mild discomfort and feels like it is pressing into my ribs sometimes.. should I be concerned?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 pm

User avatar Hi fitzy,
It is very hard for me to give a straightforward diagnosis for the lump that you had discovered. Generally any breast lump should be evalusted by what is known as a "triple assessment", the components of which are,
- clinical examination,
- imaging(ultrsonography/radio-mammography) and
- a biopsy(FNAC/excision biopsy).

Therefore, you must consult a surgeon and get fully assessed.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:45 pm

User avatar Hi Marlyn,
From your description, i am not unable to visualize in my mind the exact location of the lump that you mention.I assume either it is in the axilla or related to the 'axillary tail' of the breast.
If it is in the axilla,it could well be an accessory breast tissue(heterotopic axillary breast tissue).These are benign and may cause pain/enlarge in relation to menstrual periods or during pregnancy and lactation. It could well be a lymph node(but if so, surely your doctor would have had it fully investigated).
Rather than to speculate, it is better to show your doctor and get investigated.

|