News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Swollen area leaking bloody puss In lower part of Anus Crack

CAPcadetJC - Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 am

I have a swollen area at the bottom on my anus crack. It has a bigger bump in the middle which is leaking bloody puss. It hurts so bad, I can hardly get up or walk. I have had no sexual relations, so Its not anything like an STD. The area was swollen on monday evening, then was bleeding by tuesday noon. Its just gotten worse since then.
I don't know how it happened. I didnt scratch it or anything. Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:17 am

User avatar Hi,
Your description suggests a pilonidal disease (perhaps which has gone in to form a pilonidal abscess).
'Pilonidal' literally means 'a nest of hairs'.Usually these sinuses contain bunches of hairs in them.Why they form - there are no conclusive answers, but lots of hypotheses.
It is believed to originate from stretching, block and infection occuring in the hair follicle.
Used to be known as the "Jeep Drivers' disease" during the world wars - as it happened almost like an epidemic in some soldiers!
( a combination of sweating and jolting probably contributed to this).Usully occurs in hirsute individuals.
There may be a genetic basis - curiously, persons whose eye- brows meet in the midline are said to be at a higher risk!!

As your abscess has opened up sponteneously, the treatment presently will be along the following lines--- dressings as necessary, antibiotics and keeping the sorrounding area free of hairs (shaving,epilatory cremes or any other means).

You will need an assessment by a surgeon once this acute episode settles down.
Best wishes!
 G.S. Voigt - Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:58 pm

User avatar Dr Aroon, I think hit the nail on the head. Pilonidal absesses is not uncommon in hairy persons en it was my first thought too, when reading the history.
Thanks.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here