Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: tender top of one testicle

desmond - Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:30 am

One of my testicles is very sensitive at the very top.It feels a bit harder and much more sensitive and appears larger at the very top.I had a urinary tract infection about 4 years ago but was given antibiotics to clear it up.I also feel a tiny little bump really small on the testicle
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:20 pm

The hard lump that you feel just at the top of the testicle i guess, is the thickened 'head' of the epididymis.It is probable that during the UTI episode, you might have developed an epididymitis (inflammation of the epididymis), generally due to a retrograde entry of organisms via the vas deferens. This affects the tail of the epididymis first,then its body and then its head.
The swelling may persist for varying lengths of time despite adequate treatment.
The smaller swelling you refer to, may turn out to be an appendix of the testis ( a developmental,vestigial structure) - can cause acute pain if it undergoes torsion of its pedicle (may even be mistaken for testicular torsion).
An ultrasonological examination will give a definitive answer.Best wishes.

|