Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: A Few Concerns

Millermtgirl - Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:27 am

I am a 38 year old female who has smoked for 23 years. I currently smoke about 3 packs a day. For the past year I have had occasions of waking up with pain in my lungs. Hurts to take deep breaths. Well shallow ones to but more so deep breaths. I have a substantial cough and an increase in phlemn but no blood. I have also noticed a film on the back of my tongue that doesnt seem to go away. I have frequents bouts of pain between my shoulder blades and intermediate pain in my ribs. The pain in my ribs seems to be getting more frequent and the most recent one lasted 2 days. I can feel the congestion in my lungs. I am constantly clearing my throat. I now sound like a man when I talk. I have a swollen lymph node in the left side of my neck that has been there for 3 months. I am having more frequent attacks of shortness of breath. My question is should my doctor be ordering a chest xray? And what is the best way for a chronic smoker to quit? Thank you so much for your time
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:16 am

User avatar Millermtgirl,
You should go to your doctor immediately. The pain you are having looks like pleuritic pain caused by an inflammation in the pleura (the lining cavity of the lungs). A chest x-ray is needed to exclude serious causes. Please let me know how things turn up.
 Dr. Brim M. - Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:54 am

Hoarseness in a smoker with an enlarged lymph node is very concerning for a cancer of the throat. You should see a head and neck specialist to have the cause of hoarseness worked up. Do you have a family history of cancer?

Have you quit or cut down on smoking yet?
 Millermtgirl - Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:06 pm

The cancer in my family is
Brother with non-hodgkins lymphoma
Nephew with luekemia
Several ffamily who had cervical cancer
I myself had a hysterectomy when I was 23 for severe dysplasia covering most of my cervix

|