Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: VEGUS SCHWANNOMA

sana09 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:38 pm

I am a 27 year old female
diagnosed with vegal schwannoma in aug and the surgery was quickly scheduled in sept and the doctors thought that they are dealing with a Carotid Body Tumor untill they actually saw what it was, the tumor was 5 cm so they had to take out the vegus nerve.
I want to know how small does the tumor have to be in order to reconnect the vegus nerve.
how old could this tumor be?
I have dysphasia and have so little voice left... is thyroplasty work?
why do I have so many problems with my digestion and severe stomach acid?
what is Vegus nerve responsible for?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 am

Schwannomas, (neurilemmomas), are uncommon benign nerve sheath neoplasms that may originate from any cranial, peripheral, or autonomic nerves of the body (exceptions -the olfactory and
optic nerves).

They can be intracranial or extracranial (cervical or intrathoracic).

Most ideal treatment is excision with preservation of the vagus nerve (not always feasible).

Excision and end to end anastamosis is the next option (again not always feasible).Post-operative vocal cord palsy usually results.

As for your question of "how small does the tumor have to be in order to reconnect the vegus nerve", this will depend on an individual case and the existing local anatomy.

Vagotomy is an operation which was once popular for 'decreasing' the acid in the stomach. Post-vagotomy symptoms are quite a few(diarrhea,vasomotor dumping symptoms etc).

|