Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: unintentional weight loss and lumps in lower back of teen

pskooks - Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 pm

My daughter is 16 years old. She weighed around 155 about 6+ months ago and now weighs 116. There is no explanation of it- her thyroid functions came back normal, no diabetes, nothing with her liver panels or any other blood work ran on her. She has had a lump in her lower back, that can't be seen, but can be felt. That one is around 3cm I think and has grown little over that past 2 months. Now her pediatrician found another on the other side of her lower back (not on spine). She is scheduled with a pediatric surgeon to remove them and explore next week. I am startled with all of this, because my oldest daughter died 3 years ago at the age of 17 with juvenile ovarian cancer (juvenile granulosa cell tumor cancer). I am worried sick!!! (I had cervical/uterine cancer 9 years ago also) My daughter does not have the same symptoms of my daughter that died at all. But the lumps and the weight loss has me terrified! The surgeon would not even guess what the lumps are- he said we have to wait for pathology to come back after the surgery. My question is this-- is there a pediatric cancer that would not show on blood work (her rbc,wbc's,platelets were normal, the only elevated one was her MPV at 10.5.) The weight loss is steady and ongoing- losing 1-3 lbs. a week. I have spent countless hours trying to research, but not getting too far. Any "heads up" or possible things I can research may help ease my mind for the time being until we find out after surgery.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

An MPV (Mean Platelet Volume) of 10.5 appears to be within normal range. (Ref. Range 7.5 - 11.5).
You have not mentioned some of the characteristics of the lumps(consistency,plane of the lumps and the like).

Your doctor perhaps is proceeding with a working diagnosis of a 'soft tissue tumor' (as most of us perhaps would).

These are a wide variety of tumors whose pathogenesis (cell of origin) is not fully understood.They could behave in a relatively benign or malignant fashion(sarcomas).They are generally named according to their histological appearance.

If a soft tissue tumor is suspected, it is better biopsied. Best wishes!

|